Community Event and Public Art Project
All are welcome
Sunday, July 29, 2018 (12 noon to 5:00 pm)
Playstead Park, 100 Playstead Road, Medford, MA
Open to the Public
Come join in a fun, creative and informative community event honoring Native people and the tipi.
Native artists will create Lakota/Native designs on an eighteen foot Sioux tipi. The tipi will be raised and tweens/teens and adults will be invited to participate in a supervised tipi painting art project!
Native themed art and craft projects – including a kid-size tipi for smaller ‘hands -on’ painting – will be available for the young and young-at-heart!
The event will also include Native Drum and Dance and MARV the art bus.
Schedule for the Day
- 12 – 1 pm Welcome and Opening Circle
- 1 – 2 pm Tipi Raising
- Native Drum/Dance by Winds of Change (Mohawk/Taino/Blackfoot/Cherokee/Nipmuc/Blackfeet/Mi’kmaq)
- 2 – 4 pm Tipi Art Project
- Native themed art/crafts projects
- Native Drum/Dance
- 4 – 5 pm Honoring ceremony and Closing Circle
Food/drink/Native crafts will be on sale. Please bring your beach chair or picnic blanket!
- Lakota Cultural presenters
- Native Artist – Lucy Foronda Dirksen