Community Event and Public Art Project
All are welcome
Sunday, July 29, 2018 (12 noon to 5:00 pm)
Playstead Park, 100 Playstead Road, Medford, MA
Open to the Public
Come join in a fun, creative and informative community event honoring Native people and the tipi.
Native artists will create Lakota/Native designs on an eighteen foot Sioux tipi. The tipi will be raised and tweens/teens and adults will be invited to participate in a supervised tipi painting art project!
Native themed art and craft projects – including a kid-size tipi for smaller ‘hands -on’ painting – will be available for the young and young-at-heart!
The event will also include Native Drum and Dance and MARV the art bus.
Schedule for the Day
- 12:00 pm – Opening Ceremony and Prayer
Opening Drum—Winds of Change (Mohawk/ Taino/ Blackfoot/ Cherokee/ Nipmuc/ Blackfeet/ Mi’kmaq)
- 12:30 pm – Teaching and Raising the Tipi with Darrell Red Cloud
- 12:00—3:00 pm – Dreamcatchers and Mini-tipi Crafts with Celia Lee and MARV
- 1:00 pm – Drum / Men’s Dance; Winds of Change
- 1:45 pm – About Ledger Art & Tipi Designs, Lucy Dirkson
- 2:00—4:00 pm Big Tipi painting with art guides (10 and older and adults); Kids tipi painting with art guides (10 and younger)
- 2:30 pm – Drum / Fancy Shawl Dance; Winds of Change
- 3:30 pm – Drum / Intertribal Dance; Winds of Change
- 4:00 pm – Honoring Ceremony
- 4:30 pm – Drum / Round Dance; Winds of Change
- 4:45 pm – Closing Circle and Prayer
Food/drink/Native crafts will be on sale. Please bring your beach chair or picnic blanket!
- Lakota Cultural presenters
- Native Artist – Lucy Foronda Dirksen